No products in the cart.
Distinguish the difference Between Male & Female Hairy Crabs
Hairy Crabs have been considered as a gourmet delicacy in China for centuries. It has been regarded a one of the most premium and sought after crustacean when it is season.
In Singapore Hairy Crabs are popular for the “Yellow Crab Butter Cream” (Xie Huang/蟹黄). However, in China, Hong Kong and Taiwan, the “Milt” (Xie Gao/蟹膏）in Male Hairy Crabs and “Roe” (Xie Dan/蟹蛋) in Female Hairy Crabs is highly sought after.
Male Hairy Crab:(Often served in Singapore restaurants, Prized for its “Milt” (Xie Gao/蟹膏))
1. Distinguished by their triangular tip based seen on the flip-side of the crabs.
2. They are bigger in size as compared to the female Hairy Crabs. A good sized Male Hairy Crab should weigh about 200g-250g.
Late Season Male Hairy Crab (Fully Matured)
It consist of lesser Crab Butter(Xie Huang/蟹黄) but contains more “Milt”(Xie Gao/蟹膏), which has high collagen, proteins and vitamins.
- Collagen: Provide structural support, strength and elasticity for the skin, bones and connective tissues
- Protein: Build and repair tissue. Create enzymes, hormones and other chemicals.
- Vitamin A: Has antioxidant properties, which protects cells from toxic damage of oxidation
- Vitamin B1: Essential for breaking down fats and proteins. Also keeps the mucous membranes healthy
- Vitamin B2: Helps in energy production and is an important nutrient in a basic diet
- Phosphorus: Critical part of growth process; helps in bone formation and maintenance of bones and teeth
The Milt is white in transparent colour in Live Male Hairy Crab, after cooking it turn into White Jelly colour. On consumption it has a hint of sweetness and has a rather unique texture why many enjoy!!
Female Hairy Crab:(Prized for it “Roe” (Xie Dan/蟹蛋))
1. Distinguished by their roundish based seen on the flip-side of the crabs.
2. They are smaller in size as compared to the male Hairy Crabs. A good sized female Hairy Crab should weigh about 120g-170g.
Late Season Female Hairy Crab (Fully Matured)
It consist of lesser Crab Butter(Xie Huang/蟹黄) and contains abundance of Roe (Xie Dan/蟹蛋).
The Roe is bright orange in colour. On consumption it is sweet and fragrant. As the roe is very delicate, it could be easily overcooked. Therefore, it is important to keep to the steaming time of the crab as per instructed on the brochure provided to customers.
Check out here for our latest promotion: